Intellectual Property Counsel Services
We consult and represent clients on the following IP matters:
- USPTO Prosecution - Office Action Responses; Intent-To-Use Matters
- Trademark Trial and Appeal Board Proceedings - Oppositions and Cancellations
- Trademark Applications (Registration)
- Trademark Enforcement - Cease and Desist Letters, Domain Disputes
- USPTO Petitions - Revive Abandoned Application; Letters of Protest
- Trademark Renewals
- International Trademark Registrations
- Copyright Registration
- Proactive IP Protection
The most important asset of any business or high profile individual is their brand, which includes intangible assets such as intellectual property, and protecting it is imparative to achieving success. “IP/Brand Protection” involves various areas of law, including trademark law, contract law (licensing, sales, joint ventures, NDAs), business law (holding companies, asset protection strategies), copyright law (protecting creative designs in a logo), constitutional law (first amendment vs. defamation), and right of publicity law. Examples of other intangible assets include consumer contacts, financial data, formulas, proprietary information, trade secrets, domain names, contractual rights, compilation copyrights, and musical compositions. M.E.T.A.L.® attorneys are well versed in creating and maintaining intellectual property portfolios, and providing other services that protect its client's brand.
We routinely file United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) trademark applications for our clients, so we know how to avoid the pitfalls of the deceivingly simple process. We offer a
flat fee for our service, which includes advice on the best strategy to apply for a trademark (i.e., intent-to-use vs. in-commerce), the USPTO application filing fee, a preliminary mark search, an attorney opinion letter, and routine maintenance of the application until the process is complete.
We also offer a discounted flat fee if you want to simultaneously file more than one application to cover additional classes or marks.
We advise our clients on Office Actions that may be issued by the USPTO. The person who is evaluating your application is called an Examining Attorney. Your Examining Attorney may issue a notice to you that there is an issue to resolve with your application. This notice is officially called an Office Action.
An Office Action will include the reason why registration is being refused or what requirements must be satisfied. In most cases, you must respond to an Office action within 6 months from the date it is issued or your application will be abandoned.
There are two types of Office actions: non-final and final. A non-final Office action raises an issue for the first time. A final Office action issues when your response to the prior Office action fails to address or overcome all issues. If you receive a final Office Action, you must either comply with the requirements or appeal to the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
TTAB Proceedings - Notice of Opposition or Petition For Cancellation Defense
We defend our clients in Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) Proceedings, including Opposition Proceedings and Cancellation Proceedings. We provide clients with a strategy that will best address the claims against their application, and help navigate the procedural challenges.
We have successfully handled hundreds of federal trademark matters on behalf of entrepreneurs, business owners, inventors, brands, and individuals.
We advise and assist our clients on all aspects of copyright issues, such as registering with the U.S. Copyright Office, determining ownership issues, exploiting copyrights for compensation, dealing with infringement matters, and handling copyright termination matters.
IP/Brand Protection Services
We help our clients protect their brands by monitoring potential infringement activity. Common brand protection matters include:
- Proactive measures to avoid weakening your brand
- Trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings
- Non-disclosure and trade secret agreement violations
M.E.T.A.L. has sucessfully worked with clients that have valuable brands in areas such as:
- Celebrity Entertainers
- Production Companies (Music, TV, Film, Digital Media)
- Television and Film Series
- Concert Series and Festivals
- Physical and Digital Video Series
- Physical and Digital Book Series
- Clothing, Accessories, and Shoe Lines
- Print and Digital Media Publications
- Mobile and Wireless Applications
- Consumer Products (Beverages, Make-Up, Ice Cream, Yogurt, Electronics)
- Food and Supplement Products (Vegan Dishes, Multivitamins)
- Healthy Living Services (Pilates, Exercise Videos, Choreographed Exercise Classes)
- Product Packaging and Guitar Shapes
- Social Media and Dating Services
- Consulting and Teaching Curriculum
- Legal and Financial Services
, Ext 103
Be sure to ask about our flat fee services and packages!