Entertainment & IP
We serve as General Counsel and IP Legal Counsel for media, entertainment, and digital companies and projects.
Our attorneys have in-house counsel experience at top companies including Virgin Records, CBS Studios International, and Dentsu.
Richard B. Jefferson, Esq. is the Managing Partner for the Entertainment and IP Group.
Highlights from his background include:
- Serial Entrepreneur – previously owned management company, music publishing company, licensing company
- 15+ Year Attorney (transactional and litigation)
- 20 years of Entertainment/IP Business Experience
- Co-Founder – Metal Law Group, LLP
- 15-Year State Bar IP Law Section Member
- Former Business Affairs Instructor, New York Film Academy
- Frequent presenter/panelist at industry conferences, such as NATPE, Urban Network Digital, and California Lawyers for the Arts
- Founder of LawyersRock.com
We provide the following services to companies and projects:
Intellectual Property Counsel
Our attorneys are well versed in protecting and maintaining your rights in intellectual property portfolios, including copyrights and trademarks, and other intangible assets:
- USPTO Trademark Prosecution and Maintenance
- Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) Proceedings
- Trademark Enforcement – Cease and Desist Letters, Domain Disputes
- Copyright Registration
- Proactive IP Protection
- Limited Liability Company Formation for Asset Protection
Media/Entertainment General Counsel
Our attorneys understand the legal issues and custom of the music, film, television, and digital industries.
We can help you:
- Comprehensive business and legal affairs
- Contract drafting, reviewing, and negotiations
- Entity Formation
- Intellectual Property
- Worker-related matters
- Dispute Resolution
Production Counsel (Film, TV, Digital)
Our attorneys have served as Production Counsel on many independent film and reality television productions.
We can help you:
- Execute script options
- Acquire property rights
- Protect intellectual property
- Review screenplays for potential legal issues and clear rights
- Draft agreements for talent, crew, location, equipment, props, or other miscellaneous matters
- Review rough cuts for potential legal issues
- Draft opinion letters for errors and omissions insurance
- Negotiate distribution agreements
- Monitor contractual obligations
- Prosecuted over 500 federal trademark applications
- Successfully defended or settled over 100 Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) opposition or cancellation proceedings
- Served as Production Counsel for more than 500 film, television, and digital content projects
- Represented companies owned by Emmy®, Grammy®, and Oscar® winners and nominees, professional athletes, and High Net Worth (HNW) entrepreneurs
- Negotiated international deals for clients with companies located in Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Estonia, Germany, Great Britain, India, Japan, Korea, and The Netherlands
- Negotiated deals with many major companies, including Universal Records, Universal Music Publishing Group, Capital Records, EMI Publishing, Sony/ATV Music Publishing, Warner Bros. Records, Warner-Chappell Music, Electronic Arts, Capcom, Ubisoft, Disney, Nickelodeon, E! Entertainment, MTV Networks, Comcast Entertainment, NBCUniversal, Discovery Communications, OWN, TruTV, Summit/Lionsgate, Nordstrom, Pioneer, Tapout, Intuit, PepsiCo, AT&T, Wells Fargo, Keurig, Brothers, Nike, Subway, Home Shopping Network (HSN), and Netflix.
We offer affordable rates, flat fees, and packages to form companies, such as record labels, publishing companies, TV/film/digital production companies, and social media influencer/brand companies.
Contact us for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org
“Richard Jefferson is a Mensch and a gentleman who is also well-versed in cutting-edge legal developments that he employs to help his clients, from the large to the very small. He is especially good about looking after the business interests of the ‘little guy’ and is just as well equipped to handle large, complex and far reaching deals.”